Environmental Preservation Activities
FY2019 Environmental Conservation Activities
Preventing Global Warming
CO2 emissions were expected to rise, but they are lower than last year due to energy-saving efforts. We were unable to attain our targets for CO2 emissions per unit of production value.
SMK-J held an environmental learning course for elementary school children in the neighborhood. Through this course, they understood the relationship between environmental conservation and biodiversity and its importance.
Effective Use of Resources
As a result of efforts to eliminate waste in manufacturing processes, we reduced the total amount of discharged waste and achieved our target.
The Industrial waste discharge per unit of production value was around the same as the previous year. The landfill disposal amount was greatly reduced by finding new waste recycling companies overseas, but we did not reach our target.
Effective Responses for the Management of Environment-related Substances
We greatly improved the environment-related substance management system by adding new features.
Strengthening Eco-friendly Design Approach
To integrate product assessment and environmentally friendly (eco) products, we tried and tested a new re-configured eco-product management system. We will carry out more detailed activities in line with the integration plan during the 2020 financial year.
Self-assessment A: attained B: insufficiently-attained C: not attained
|*¹:||CO2 emissions per unit of production value = CO2 emissions divided by production value|
|*²:||Industrial waste discharge per unit of production value = industrial waste discharge divided by production value|
Energy and Resource Saving Results
SMK aims to improve efficiency of its energy usage as an important management policy to help prevent global warming. We are also working to reduce the discharge of industrial waste and achieve zero emissions (i.e. zero landfill waste) by using out resources more effectively.
Amount of industrial waste discharge
Amount of landfill waste and recycling rate
- Reporting period: FY2019 (April 1, 2019 – March 31, 2020)
- Scope of calculations: SMK Corporation (eight sites in Japan) and consolidated subsidiaries (three in Japan and 17 overseas)
- CO2emission factors :
- - The factors that was publicly known at the Electricity Council for the Creation of a Low Carbon Society are used for the purchased power in Japan site. In overseas site, for emissions from FY2005 to FY2011 the factors that was publicly known at the IEA (International Energy Agency) and for emissions from FY2012 DEFRA (Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs) are used.
- - The factors defined the Ministry of the Environment are used for fuel.
- - Past results have been revised due to the update of CO2 conversion factors.