Environmental Conservation Activities
FY2022 Environmental Conservation Activities
Preventing Global Warming
By promoting energy-saving improvements, All targets for energy consumption and per unit of production value *1, and CO2 emissions and per unit of productio value *2 were achieved.
In addition to updating to energy-saving equipment, which has been a traditional activity, solar power generation equipment was installed at the Toyama works and the Hitachi works.
SMK implemented a curriculum related to environmental conservation in an internship program for junior high school students.
On the other hand, before the the coronavirus pandemic, the environmental study course for nearby elementary school students was held evey year, but it could not be held in FY2022 in order to prevent the spread of infectious diseases and will be held in FY2023.
Effective Use of Resources
Targets for waste discharges and per unit of production value *3were achieved through promotion of waste elimination activities in the manufacturing process.
The target for landfill disposal was also achieved by promoting recycling at overseas production sites.
Ensuring Environment-related Substance Management
The management system for chemical substances in products was regularly upgraded and made more efficient.
| B: ||Target not achieved
(improved on the previous year)
|C:||Target not achieved|
- *1：Energy consumtions divided by production value
- *2 :CO2 emissions divided by production value
- *3：Waste discharge divided by production value
Energy and Resource Saving Results
We are working to improve energy efficiency with the prevention of global warming as an important management issue.
We are also working to reduce the amount of waste and achieve zero emissions (zero landfill disposal of waste), aiming for effective use of resources.
Energy Saving Results
- Unit calorific value (fuel) conversion factor:
- ・Factors based on the Ministry of the Environment's "Greenhouse Gas Emissions Calculation, Reporting, and Publication System" are used.
- CO2emission factor:
- ・Purchased electricity (Japan) : Factor published by the Electric Power Council for a Low Carbon Society,ELCS are used.
- ・Purchased electricity (Overseas): Factors from IEA Emisson Factor 2021 are used.
- ・Fuel: Factors based on the Ministry of the Environment's "Greenhouse Gas Emissions Calculation, Reporting, and Publication System" are used.
- ・Past results have been revised due to the update of CO2 emission factors.
<Installation of solar power generation equipment>
Solar power generation facilities have already been installed at Philippine works., and furthermore, solar power generation facilities were newly installed at domestic production sites in FY2022. The power generated is consumed in-house, leading to a reduction in CO2 emissions.
Resource Saving Results
< Landfill waste and recycling rate>
- ・Reporting period: FY2022 (April 1, 2022 – March 31, 2023)
- ・Scope of calculations: SMK Corporation (seven sites in Japan) and consolidated subsidiaries (three in Japan and 16 overseas)
SMK Eco Products
Since fiscal 2012, we have established internal criteria for SMK Eco Products.
Eco products consist of "Eco-contributing products," which are classified by the end market of customer products, and "Eco-friendly design products," which are evaluated based on the level of environmentally friendly design.
Percentage of sales of Eco Products
*SMK Eco products =Eco-contributing products plus Eco-friendly design products
(If both are applicable, they will be counted unduplicated.)