Environmental Preservation Activities
FY2020 Environmental Conservation Activities
Preventing Global Warming
The target for the total amount of CO2 emissions could not be achieved, but this amount was slightly lower than the previous financial year as a result of energy-saving improvements. CO2 emission per unit of production value increased.
With a view to preventing the spread of COVID-19, we have postponed our yearly environment course for local elementary schoolchildren.
Effective Use of Resources
As a result of promoting industrial waste-reduction activities in production work processes, total industrial waste discharge reduced and industrial waste discharge per unit of production was the same level as the previous financial year, but the targets for both indices could not be achieved.
The target for the landfill disposal amount was achieved by promoting recycling overseas.
Effective Responses for the Management of Environment-related Substances
We greatly improved the environment-related substance management system by adding new features.
Strengthening Eco-friendly Design Approach
System specifications and an operation plan were formulated for product assessment and eco-product integration. Actual activities will be conducted in 2021 in line with the integration policy.
Self-assessment A: attained B: insufficiently-attained C: not attained
|*¹:||CO2 emissions per unit of production value = CO2 emissions divided by production value|
|*²:||Industrial waste discharge per unit of production value = industrial waste discharge divided by production value|
Energy and Resource Saving Results
SMK aims to improve efficiency of its energy usage as an important management policy to help prevent global warming. We are also working to reduce the discharge of industrial waste and achieve zero emissions (i.e. zero landfill waste) by using out resources more effectively.
Amount of industrial waste discharge
Amount of landfill waste and recycling rate
- Reporting period: FY2020 (April 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021)
- Scope of calculations: SMK Corporation (seven sites in Japan) and consolidated subsidiaries (three in Japan and 16 overseas)
- CO2emission factors :
- - The factors that was publicly known at the Electricity Council for the Creation of a Low Carbon Society are used for the purchased power in Japan site. In overseas site, for emissions from FY2005 to FY2011 the factors that was publicly known at the IEA (International Energy Agency) and for emissions from FY2012 DEFRA (Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs) are used.
- - The factors defined the Ministry of the Environment are used for fuel.
- - Past results have been revised due to the update of CO2 conversion factors.